Friday, October 22, 2010

Memento Mori

These were taken at a little cemetery in Wilton, NH.


I'm not sure what this symbol means. It appears to be a cross within a four petaled flower, but it could be something altogether different. This is the first one I've seen like this.


This memorialized four people. The sleeping angel means simply death, according to my research. The angel is beautifully done and still looks great.






Possibly English Ivy? English Ivy on early American graves means friendship and immortality. In England, Ivy grew up and often covered graves and apparently, the trend continued here. I think this particular example is lovely and delicate.




Double grave of a married couple. There are two coffins, an hourglass (I think,) and skulls. This one is interesting in that the male memorial looks different from the female (on the right.) The male has wings while the female has flowers.




                                                                "Memento Mori"


Do you know about the first symbol? Leave a comment and let me know what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment